Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Improvised Bed Skirt

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Maybe it's just because I'm a Wal Mart shopper and I don't buy my bedding from fine linen stores, but am I the only one who has noticed that bed skirts, or dust ruffles, as they are sometimes called, are now being made with a flimsy material on the part that is meant to be hidden between the mattress and the box springs? By flimsy I mean it will tear if you breathe on it too hard.

I have had more than one bed skirt ruined by kids climbing up on the bed. That flimsy material is about as thick as a spider web and just doesn't hold up to much at all. The coordinating skirt part tears right away from the flimsy webbing at the slightest pull.

Recently, I used an antique chenille bedspread that I got from my grandmother to replace a torn bed skirt. It is a color that coordinates with the comforter that needed a new bed skirt and the perfect size to cover the box springs and hang just to the floor.

Waa-lah, I now have a great new bed skirt. It is all one piece so no sewing was involved, and no worries about it tearing away from any webbing. Perfectly simple!

That's what Works for Me this week. Click on the link for more great tips.

10 comments:

Lara said...

It must be beautiful. How about a photo! I need to do something like this with my daughter's bunkbed.

Justabeachkat said...

Great idea! You're right...they seem to just fall apart. Your solution sounds perfect. Thanks!

Hugs!
Kat

Jane said...

That sounds great! And, even at the real Klassy Bed Bath & Beyond the bed skirts have that cheesy paper webbing! I have to keep my eye out at the thrift stores for just such a spread!

Wezie said...

That stuff is terrible! Who invented it anyway! I remember making a simple unbleached muslin bedskirt for a 3/4 size brass bed that was in my mom's house over 20 years ago. I just did a flat piece of fabric that fit the boxspring and then did a gathered skirt around the 2 sides and end. My mom finally got rid of the bed, but she kept the skirt. Why? I have no idea.

Tracy said...

I've had the same problem! Thanjks for a lovely solution.

Mrs. Jones said...

I don't know why it never occurred to me to do this. Great tip!

moreofhim said...

I totally agree about the quality of the bedskirts. They have gotten horrible and just rip at the slightest movement. I love your tip!! I'm very blessed to have found a bedskirt at my favorite thrift store that what the same material all the way across - good quality cotton - so I don't have to worry right now, but I'm going to stash your tip into my mind for future reference! Thanks! God bless.

My Trendy Tykes said...

Great tip!

Linda

Anonymous said...

I get frustrated with that terrible tear-able flimsy stuff, too. I don't have a bedspread handy -- but I might look for one that will coordinate. Thanks for the idea!

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

OH, I love this idea! I might even use a quilt and do the same thing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics