Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Parenting Advice

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Today's Works For Me tip is supposed to be a chance to offer our best parenting advice.

I really and truly don't have any quick and simple tricks or tips that will make your life easier when it comes to parenting. I think I've read through just about every book there is about the "best" way to parent, and I have found one thing to be true. The bottom line is that parenting is a tough job.

As Christians, we rely on THE book, God's word, for "everything pertaining to life and godliness." (2 Peter 1:3) So, naturally, we turn to His word to see how we are to raise our children. There is a wealth of information on parenting in the Bible, from examples of what not to do (see Eli and his sons 1 Samuel 2 &3) to plain spoken instructions on what to do.

Christians are told to bring up their children in the "training and instruction of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4) and to "train up a child in the way he should go" (Proverbs 22:6). We are given the example in the Old Testament of the Israelites teaching their children about God and His wonderful works (Deuteronomy 6:7) and in the New Testament of young Timothy learning the scriptures from his mother and grandmother (2 Timothy 1:5).

I am to teach my children about God's marvelous plan for each of us. I read the scriptures to them, have them memorize scriptures, and do lots of praying that God will keep them safe against the wiles of the devil and the dangers of this world.

We are not promised, and I do not expect, that parenting is going to be always pleasant or ever simple. I do know and we are told that "children are a blessing from the Lord". I have been richly blessed, and I want to take the responsibility that comes with those blessing very seriously.

So, my advice is read (God's word) and pray and teach your children to do the same. That can be summed up in the way we like to sing this popular little song:

The B-I-B-L-E
Yes, that's the book for me.
I'll read and pray
and then obey

the B-I-B-L-E.

9 comments:

Totallyscrappy said...

Great advice. I always remind my boys that my job is to help them grow in love for the Lord. I tell them that it is part of my job to help them show the love of Jesus. Daunting task, but with the help of Jesus...
(And thanks for a new version of The B-I-B-L-E.)

Anonymous said...

Nothing to add but Amen!!

Katy said...

The best advice! I like your version of the B-I-B-L-E song! I'll be teaching that to my children. Thanks!

Kristy said...

Oh, I love that version of the song! Thanks for sharing!

SimplyAmusingDesigns.com said...

Amen and amen, sister! I love that version of "The B-I-B-L-E" too!

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

This is truly the best advice yet! Enjoy raising your blessings in the Lord.

http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/2007/08/01/wfmw-keep-kids-toys-contained/

At A Hen's Pace said...

The best parenting manual ever written, all right...

Thanks for stopping by today!

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I will add my Amen & Amen!

When we look anywhere else it just adds to the confusion.

Anonymous said...

Only getting round to the WFMW now - have been busy.

Great advice.

I like your version of that chorus too.

Do you know the other version?

The B-I-B-L-E
Yes that's the book for me
I stand alone on the
Word of God
The B-I-B-L-E

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Swidget 1.0 6

 
Web Statistics